It's an Acquired Taste

Many years ago, when I was at my peak in the stalking business, I stalked an ex-boyfriend type. I'm calling him Ted. I discovered he had moved, found out where he had moved to, and then found the phone number to the residence. I suspected he was seeing someone else. I suspected this because when he broke up with me he told me he started seeing someone else. However, my mother didn't believe him. I don't know why I ever told my mother, but I did. And if she were anytype of decent humanbeing she would have kept her theories to herself because hope is THE WORST THING EVER! But if you think about it whether or not he was dating another lady was moot because either way he no longer wanted to date me. My mother's scenario didn't have Ted finding a woman closer to his age who he felt more comfortable with. No. Intead, my mom thought he rather be completely alone then date me. Yes, it's definitely true how our parents see us through rose color glasses.

Anyway. I needed to confirm my suspicions that he wasn't lying, so I prepared to call his house and see who answered. Knowing he had caller ID I thought I should have a friend up in Massachusettes call and pretend to be a tele-marketer. I reconsidered that plan when I realized she might not be able to decode the subtle variations in the voice of whoever answered. Instead, I choose to make the call myself. I dialed *67 to cloak my idenitity. Thanks Bell Atlantic (may you rest in peace.). The answering machine picked up. A woman's voice spewed the message, "Amanda and Ted aren't home right now, please leave a message. Happy Holidays."

I turned to my buddy Jesse and asked, "Do you think that's his girlfriend or just a roommate?" Jesse responded, "Who would date him!...Ah I mean, besides you."

The kicker is I thought Jesse made a good point. Turns out they were living together. There was at least one other woman who would date him. Hell not only date him they eventually got married. Now they have a kid. How do I know all that? Because I know.

Comments

Will McKinley said…
Dearest Rachael - From one recovering stalker to another, here's some advice. If you want to get the dish on an ex, just hire a private investigator. P.I.'s are professionals. They have access to data and information that we mere mortals do not.

And they (usually) don't ask awkward questions like, "Why do you want to know this?" All you have to do is tell them that you are doing some "pre-matrimonial fact finding" and leave it at that.

And always pay them in cash, so there's no embarrassing paper trail.

Hope this helps!
Holy crap, they have a kid? Does the kid have yellow teeth or small hands?

Poor child.
Instantiable said…
One of the great things about being a guy is that having a stalker is almost a compliment. A form of flattery to know that someone is so infatuated with you they want to know every detail... Then again, maybe I'm just more lonely than the average guy... That, and as of yet, no one has boiled one of my pets on my own stove...

Highlights