Herstory

Sunday I spent some of my time reading up on the Albania pyramid scheme crisis. I thought it happened only three or four years ago, turns out it was nearly 10 years ago--guess I'm getting old. My google/wikipedia research revealed a valuable feminist history lesson (having nothing to do with the Albania pyramid scheme crisis of 1997). Turns out there have been moments in history when it has been easier to be a woman. During Hoxha's tolitarian rule of Albania in the mid 1900s he executed approximately 6000 people, but only 1/10 of those were women. That's pretty sweet, huh girls? Try bitching about equal pay knowing that. Yeah sure women still make 30% less than a man for most jobs, but only 10% of the executions in Communist Albania in the mid 1900s were of women. Which would you rather, ladies, a pay increase and equal tolitarian terror or making a few less bucks but saving thousands of past, Albanina, female lives?

Though, in all fairness to those men who were executed by Hoxha I'm sure men were just better at being political criminals than women.

Comments

Highlights