N.I.N.A.

Today I was book shopping at Powell's Books. I found myself in the literature section by the authors with last names that begin with "O." That's when it hit me. Irish people put "O'" in the begining of their last names so they could easily find Irish literature. We all know how lazy the Irish are. They didn't want to have to search through all the shelves looking for works by their compatriots.

It was at this moment my fiance, James, and I decided to make shirts that read. "N.I.N.A." We decided it would be way hip to be retro-bigots, and also to be ethnist in a way that required others to be a little educated to get it. See racism can be fun, you just have to think outside the box.


***N.I.N.A signs were placed in business windows during the 1800s in the United States. The acronym stands for No Irish Need Apply.

Comments

Nina Paley said…
I don' get it. Please explain for the uneducated.
rachael said…
N.I.N.A.= no irish need apply
My fiance, James, says that not knowing what about NINA is just ignorant racism.

More offensive posts to come, now that I have access to a computer once again.

Highlights