My Ass Needs a Phone

My best friend Anna and I were talking. She asked me if she could place a booty call a couple of days in advance. Say, it's Tuesday and she wanted sex on Friday or Saturday. Could she call the dude on Tuesday for him to come over Friday or Saturday? I said I didn't know. I have boyfriend and I can just call him whenever, for whatever reason. So we decided to ask other people--people with more experience with casual sex. Some people said yes, some people said no, and still others says, "Well, doesn't that make it a date?"

What is wrong with my generation? Is all romance lost? A booty call is not romantic and that is fine, but a date should have some element of romance to it. Asking someone over merely for sex with no other plans for the evening is not a date. A date requires a shared experience other than sex. You know like a movie, or rock climbing, betting on Jai alai, or four square-- Something. And yes you can have a date at your home. "Come over let's play scrabble." But you do actually have to play scrabble otherwise it's a booty call. Scrabble can't be code for "Let's get it on." Or, "Come over I'll cook you dinner." You know what? I'll even accept "Come over and we'll drink this bottle of wine I stole from my parents" as a date. However, I will not accept "Hey, do you want to come over late Friday or Saturday night after were done with our social or professional obligations?" as a date. I don't care if you place that call a month in advance.

OK. Tomorrow I will discuss hugs.

Comments

Highlights