I'll Be Gone For a Few Days Next Week

Today I leav to visit Acadia National Park and Nova Scotia. I need to see these place before the world ends. I don't know if the world is going to end this year or not, there have been some signs that the apocolypse is nigh, but nothing is certain. However, why take a chance. I might as well go while I can.

And in honor of the upcoming national holiday, Labor Day I've posted a song from a sketch show I co-wrote with Mark Bridges back when I lived in Portland, OR. One of the through lines of the show involved an evil corporation that turned it's employees into zombies to save on labor costs. (notice that Rachel is spelled sans the extra 'a' my name is spelled with. That's how we knew she wasn't me, ahh meta theatre.)


(Cody Sings)

Don’t ask questions
Don’t make suggestions
For God’s sake don’t ever whine
Don’t stick your neck out
Unless you want to check out
The unemployment line

RACHEL:

So they’re a tough bunch, eh?


CODY : (joined by coworkers)

Just keep your head down
Keep your nose brown
Keep thinking of the bottom line
We know that you’re thinking
Of taking up drinking
(one lone drunk worker: )May I suggest fortified wine

Chorus:
You could be working for happiness
You could be working for dreams
But instead you persist to stay off the list
Of workers assigned to the volleyball team

This is the big city
No one said it was pretty
It sure beats the alternative
If we go in the red
You’ll wish that you were dead
For as long as they let you live

It’s the plan for survival
We’ll squash every rival
Our CEO is not that forgiving
This is the big city
No one said it was pretty
Or promised you’d make a living

Chorus:
You could be working for happiness
But you made a deal with the devil
But instead you persist to stay off the list
Of workers assigned to the factory level

If you don’t have it in you
You’ll be on the menu
For one of our new hirees
It only gets worse
and your life is a curse
when they dig up the retirees

Keep your head down
Keep your nose brown
Feel your life go down the drain
Better make it your dream
To join our happy team
Or you’ll be working for brains

RACHEL:
Got it. Thanks

Comments

Anonymous said…
That was some great lyrics in that songs. You really must try to compose lots of songs too. I like it becasue it has life and talks about reality. Great one!

Highlights